Saturday, August 14, 2010

Five Guys Burgers and Fries


Five Guys Burger and Fries
1549 E. Katella Ave Orange, CA 92867

                So last week the wife and I were getting ready to go see a friends' band play. The wife and I decided we wanted to eat dinner before the show so we call my friend to see if he wanted to join us. His girlfriend got in touch with us and said they were going to the 5Guys that just opened in Orange and asked if we wanted to meet them there. I said "Hell yes" since I had been hearing about how 5Guys is the In-N-Out of the East Coast. Well we go there and the line to order was out the door and the four agreed to eat somewhere else.
 
                That Monday my wife sends me a text message with the only word being "5Guys?". I send a text back to her saying "Hell yes", thinking to myself that I got to try this place. The hype surrounding 5Guys opening in Orange has been going on for months and since it finally open I wanted to try it ASAP. I have been reading articles in the Orange County Register and online about 5Guys and was about to the in In-N-Out killer for myself. My wife called and asked what I wanted, I told her I wanted double cheese burger with lettuce, tomato and grilled onions. I wanted a burger as close to the Double-Double animal style as possible. I also had her get me an order of fries.
 
                When my wife got home and placed the burger in front of me it was wrapped in aluminum foil and the fries where in what looked like a soda cup. The burger itself appeared to be handmade and the sloppy factor, which is good in my opinion is a good thing, was high. This burger was looking like it had a lot of promise to it. I then took my first bite of the burger and was a bit under whelmed by the taste. It was nothing special, no angles for the heavens singing hymns, no fireworks no nothing. Maybe due to all the hype I was expecting something special but that was not the case. The meat taste fresh, the lettuce was crisp and the tomatoes were juicy. As I continued to eat the burger the slop, again a good thing, came dripping out of the burger and falling on the foil wrapper. Now for the fries, they looked like a natural cut fry and still had the potato skins on. Picked up couple fries and shoved them in my pie hole like any red blooded fry eating man would do and they were okay. The fries were a little greasy, not very crisp and the taste was okay. Dipping the fries in my burger slop helped but still nothing out of the ordinary.
 
                My overall impression of 5Guys food was good, a well made burger and average fries. This is place I can see my eating at again. The burger was delicious but the fires I could do without. Is 5Guys an In-N-Out killer? I don't think so. Could I be bias because I have grown all my life with In-N-Out maybe but I don't think so. Not only do I eat to sustain myself but also to enjoy my food. I feel that In-N-Out is more enjoyable. Not only is the In-N-Out burger better tasting but the fries blow 5Guys fires out of the water. The prices at 5Guys were higher than In-N-Out also. Which is a down side to me since the budget is tight in my family and I want the best food I can get my dollar.


Five Guys Burgers & Fries on Urbanspoon

No comments: