Saturday, October 9, 2010

Foodie Fest with Food Frenzy at Joe's

Joe's in Fullerton
124 W. Commonwealth Ave
Fullerton, CA 92832
714-879-2600

  Last night was spent at Joe's in Fullerton with the Food Frenzy guys for the fourth Foodie Fest. It is a meet a greet event so people who follow the blog can meet the writers behind the blog and eat some good food. I thought it would be cool to check the event out and try a restaurant I had never been to before. I gathered up the wife and kids so we could head over to Joe's.

  When you walk in the front door of Joe's it looks like a small neighborhood bar. You are greeted by just about everyone behind the bar, I almost felt like Norm from Cheers. The family and I headed to the back area of Joe's and it opened up to a nice seating area with plenty of tables, that then went outside to a patio with even more tables. The Foodie Fest had pretty much taken control of the inside area last night and I think that staff at Joe's was a little overwhelmed at first. Once we all settled in the staff at Joe's took on the task of dealing with this large crowd of people and they handled us extremely well.  Everyone on staff at Joe's had and smile and was willing to help us in anyway they could, from offering suggestions on what to eat to getting us extra napkins and encouraging those brave enough to try the rocky mountain oysters. That's right they have rocky mountain oysters and from what I heard they were good. I was too chicken to eat one of those but the rest of food at Joe's was fair game.

  We started off with drinks, ice tea for myself, wife had a coke and the kids had sprite. When the drinks arrived at our table they were huge and I mean huge. I had enough ice tea to quench the thirst of three men. Just by looking at these drinks I thought to my self that this place was going to be really good or just a bunch of flashy nonsense. As for food the little one she ordered mini hot dogs, my son got the catfish sandwich (normally comes blackened but he got it without the spice), the wife got a sampler plate and I got the homewrecker. 

  
  My daughter absolutely loved the shoe string fries that were piled next to her two mini hot dogs. In fact it took a lot just to get her to eat the actual hot dogs. She loves french fries and this mound of thinly slice deep fried potatoes had her attention. She finally did eat the mini hot dog and she told me that they were really good. My son grabbed his catfish sandwich and started to eat. From the looks of it the sandwich had a piece of fried catfish with lettuce, tomato and some type of dressing. My son later told me the sauce reminded him of tater sauce. I did not try the sandwich but it look very good. The fish looked perfectly cooked, the lettuce appeared to be fresh and crisp, the tomatoes look ripe and juicy. My son did not stop eating until the sandwich was gone only taking a break from the sandwich to eat some of the fries or drink his soda. If you read this blog you know he can be picky eater at times but I am starting to think he is coming out of that phase. He almost tried a rocky mountain oyster but other people were saying how the oysters were spicy and he does not like spicy food.



  The wife got a sampler platter that included her choice of three different sausages, sauerkraut, chopped tomatoes and few other sides. The three sausages she picked were boar, alligator and duck with bacon. I did try all three sausages each of them. The boar sausage had a flavor that reminded me of andouille, the sausage was well spiced but not spiced so heavily that is killed your taste buds. The boar was juicy with a snap from the casing that they used. I was a bit hesitant of eating the alligator because the last time I tried alligator it reminded me of shrimp and food from the ocean is not my favorite. But this alligator sausage was good and well cooked. The seasoning in this one might of had some cajun flare to it but I could not pin point it, still very tasty. The duck and bacon sausage was again perfectly cooked. This sausage was moist and had a flavor to it that made me think of Thanksgiving. I am not sure exactly way but I thought it had rosemary in it and that might be why. My favorite out of three was the boar, it was the star on my wife's sampler platter for sure.


  Now time for the homewrecker! This was twelve inches of all beef goodness (that's what she said) covered in chili, cheese sauce and green onions that was stored in a fresh roll. The hot dag was twelve inches long and was an all beef dog. Not exactly sure how they cooked but it was definitely grilled because it had nice grill marks and hint of smokey flavor that will only come from grilling. The chili on this dog was an all meat chili and it was a chili that could stand on its own in bowl. The cheese sauce might have been cheese wiz sauce which I'm all good with, people don't give cheese wiz the respect it deserves. The green onions added a fresh bite to this dog that really was the cherry on top of this hot dog heaven. I had a hard time figuring out where to start with this monster chili cheese dog, a fork and knife were my first weapons of choice. I cut off one end of the dog so I could try just the hot dog by its self. This hot dog had a classic all beef hot dog taste to it, as if I had bought this off the boardwalk. Once I chipped away at the dog a bit I was finally able to grab the roll and chomp down on this bad boy. All the flavors of this homewrecker meld so well together. The chili added a nice spice to whole taste, while the cheese sauce added a tangy punch and I could even taste the green onions through all it. The roll this beast came in was fresh, soft and chewy all a good sign that this roll was made recently. I devoured the homewrecker while adding in some onion action between bites. The onion rings at Joe's are some of the best onion rings I have ever had. These rings had a light batter on them that stuck to onion. The onion did not come out of the breeding like happens at some places. Overall this was by far one the best wieners I had eaten in a long time.


  One thing I did read about Joe's before I actually went there was how they served deep fried peanut butter and jelly, cupcake, twinkies, snickers and other goodies. Being the jolly fat kid that I am I had to try one of these deserts before leaving Joe's. The family order deep fried ho-hos and a cupcake. When this plate came to our table there was two ho-hos and cupcake that had been batter dipped and deep fried. There also was a large scoop of vanilla bean cream, chopped strawberries in sauce and the plate was drizzled with chocolate sauce. I tried the ho-ho first and it was good, crispy coating and warm cake inside. It didn't blow me away like I was hoping. The cupcake was next and it had a nice crunchy coating and warm chocolate cake on the inside but the cupcake was little too much for me. I love just about anything deep fried but these two items were good just not spectacular. It's not that the taste was bad maybe just too much of a good thing. Ho-hos by them self could be dinner for me and same is true of cupcakes. I just think the combo was a bit overboard for me. However there was one thing on that dish I could not get enough of and was the ice cream. This vanilla bean ice cream was smooth and had such an intense vanilla flavor. I could have had a giant bowl of that ice cream and been a happy camper. If anything I would still recommend trying one of these deserts for yourself so you can be your own judge but whatever you do make sure to try the vanilla bean ice cream.


  What a night the family and I had at Joe's. The food was far beyond anything I had expected. The staff at Joe's was awesome, everyone was so helpful and no request we made went unanswered. Overall I would recommend Joe's to any of my friends and I will be taking the family back to Joe's. The cost of this meal was about sixty-six dollars but the food they serve was worth the price. The portions were huge and each one of us walked out of Joe's in a food induced stupor. I saw they serve breakfast so I will have to go back and try that menu. The time spent at Joe's was great fun. I got meet new people in the food blog world and hopefully made a few new friends in the process. All while trying a new restaurant that has now been added to rolodex of favorites.
 
Joe's on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

Niyaz said...

You hit the right note on several points man. In no particular order: 1) those onion rings were some of the best I've had anywhere as well. I like those kind of rings, where the batter is fluffy rather than crumbly; I also like them crisp, not crunchy, as they were at Joe's. 2) In general all of the fried food (especially the fries) were superior to many other places I've been - the deep fried peanut butter and jelly was a twisted creamy-sweet-crunchy bite that totally caught me off guard. 3) The buns used with the sausages were the perfect bun for the meat. 4) The Homewrecker - everything about it was tasty, from the chili to the meat to the Whiz. And you're right, it's way Whiz is very underrated.

Also: Love the pictures now man. Such a great visual change. And I nearly fell out of my chair with the (that's what she said), one of the few jokes I wasn't able to use before. =)

Jeff Overley said...

I'm with you on the Whiz, as well as all the exotic sausages. I'm normally not a fair-food fan, but Joe's does it right. And glad you could come - great to meet you and the fam.

jim st said...

Nathan,
I will try the sampler plate next time. My brat was good, but the sampler looks like more what I should have gone for, no frys, and more sausages.

I found the place to be very friendly, and they took good care of us. Even chatted with the bouncer on the way out, not much for him to do, but be friendly.

Jim S

PapaKaster said...

Niyaz - Thanks for the positive comments. I can not wait to get back there and try more items.

Jeff - I had a great time that night and thanks for the invite.

Jim - That sampler plate is the ticket item Joe's in my opinion. You get a little bit of everything.

To you all - sorry for the delay in response and thanks for the comments. Still figuring this blog thing out.