Friday, December 10, 2010

50 50 is so so

Burgers by Design
6362 E. Santa Ana Canyon Road
Anaheim Hills, CA 92807

  So I have been told by my two sisters that I needed to go check out Slater's 50/50 Burger. I finally found the time to head over there and give it a try. It was a Friday night so the place was packed full. The wait to just sit down was about forty-five minutes. The inside was loud with sports on the TV, music in the background and of course people talking. By the time I was done eating my food I had an ass full of the noise. The wait staff was nice but crazy busy. Our waiter did do his best to keep our drinks full and help when we had a problem. More on that later.

   Everything at Slater's 50/50 is served a la carte so none of the burgers come with fries, except the kids meals. You have two choices for ordering, either from the menu of pre-built burgers or a menu that allows you to build your own burger. My daughter had the kid sliders, my son and wife did a build your own burger and I had the ballpark. We also ordered a combo plate of appetizers which had french fries, onion strings and fried pickled chips. With four drinks this meal was about $50 but would have been closer to $60 again more on that later.

  We got the appetizer plate which was load full of fries, onion string and fried pickle chips. I went for a fried pickle chip first since I have always wanted to try these little bites of deep fried sourness. The coating they use at Slater's for the pickles reminded my of a tempura batter. The crispy batter, still slightly crunchy pickle that was salty and sour at the same time. The addition of ranch dressing helped round these pickles out to make them really good. The fries and the onion string were nothing special. Now the problem. While my wife was eating a fried pickle she bit into something hard. When she spit it out of her mouth it looked like a piece of broken plate. Now I know this was an isolated case but for my first visit it was not a good start. The waiter did end up taking the cost of appetizer platter of the bill so that is why the check was about $50.

 

  My daughter had the mini cheese burger sliders. The burger patties reminded me of two pieces of charcoal between some bread. The burgers were way over cooked but that did not seem to matter to my daughter because she did end up finishing both burgers and a handful of fries. My son basically made a bacon cheese burger. He said the burger was tasty and filling. He was only able to finish half the burger but he did munch a lot of fries and onion strings. My wife basically got a bacon cheese burger with guacamole. She had a 50/50 patty which is half beef and half bacon. She had to cut the burger in half so she could eat the burger. She enjoyed the first half of the burger saying it was good and that the guacamole was fresh and creamy. However when she went to eat the second half the patty was so small she just ended up eating the patty and leaving the bun filled with the fixings on the plate. Yeah she may have cut the burger oddly but I had the same problem with my burger.




  As for my burger that Slater's 50/50 calls The Ballpark, it was burger that was covered in "chili" and cheese sauce.  The burger was cover in the "chili", cheese sauce, 1000 island dressing and fresh onions. I too cut my burger to make it easier to eat. The reason I say "chili" is because to me it tasted more like a sloppy joe mixture then chili. The burger was cooked perfectly, the bun was soft and the onions were plentiful. This burger was messy but tasted really good. I was a bit surprised when I took the first bite because I was expecting chili and got sloppy joe instead. Still a tasty blend of flavors just not was I was looking forward to. My first half of the burger was fat and I had a hard time figuring out how to eat the burger. The first half went down in no time so I picked up the second and the patty was gone in a few bites. I was left with a bun full of sloppy joe, onions and dressing.


  Overall I would say Slater's 50/50 Burger did not live up to the hype. The meal was good but I think I was expecting more after hearing all the talk from my sisters. The noise level inside the place was way too loud for my liking. I was really bummed about my wife finding the piece of plate in her food. To be honest I have had better burgers at my local burger joint for half the price. I'm sure I will give Slater's another chance, maybe during lunch so the crowd won't be so large and maybe that will help. At this point in time I am not a fan and would say go check it out for yourself so you can be the judge. Just don't go in there expecting to have the best burger of your life.
 
Slater's 50/50 Burgers By Design on Urbanspoon

6 comments:

Amy, David, and Baby Cambria.. said...

I get the Veggie and sweet potato fries and there really good!

PapaKaster said...

I have never tried sweet potato fries ever but hear they are good.

Jeff Overley said...

I'm with you man - Slater's is fine but nothing special. Crazy about the plate shard. I will say the chili burger looks absolutely nuts - freaking huge!

PapaKaster said...

Yeah Jeff the plate shard was pretty weak but I'm sure we just hit the Lotto that night. Just glad my wife didn't bite into it too hard to hurt herself.

jav-E said...

that's too bad dude... I've heard so many good things about this place. i mean just by the looks of it Troy's may sound like a better choice, yeah?

PapaKaster said...

jav-E Troys is good burgers but you don't to Troys for burgers, you go to Troys for breakfast burritos. Oh man I may have to go get one now.