Friday, December 3, 2010

Mandarin in Orange

574 S. Glassell
Orange, CA 92866
714-997-3300

  In my daily travels to work I used to drive down Glassell and would always pass Yen Ching Restaurant. I had asked myself many times "I wonder if that place is any good?". Well finally the family and I took the time to check this place out. From the outside it does not look like much but when you open the doors you are greeted with a nice sized eating area and well groomed tables. The wait staff seats you and menus are presented right away. As a family of four we decided to get the dinner special for four. Since our youngest is only six and our oldest is twelve they each ate for half price. This dinner special includes soup, appetizers, choice of entree and dessert. As a family we picked egg flower soup, the appetizers were paper wrapped chicken, pot sticker and egg roll. The entrees were mu-shu pork, mongolian beef, orange chicken and broccoli beef. With drinks and tip this meal was about $90.

  We started with the egg flower soup. This was a great bowl of egg flower soup. The soup had nice bite sized pieces of chicken and the egg was strung through out the soup perfectly. The small cubes of veggies were crisp and added a nice bite to the soup. The stock had that classic chicken flavor. This bowl would be up there as one of my favorite bowls of egg flower soup. The appetizers came next and I started with the paper wrapped chicken. Again this was delicious the chicken had that salty soy sauce and herby taste. The pot sticker and egg roll were yummy but what made these even better was a sauce served on the side. I wish I knew the name of the sauce but it was dark like soy but had a sweet taste to it.



  The main dishes came next and it all started with the mu-shu pork which I had never had before. The waiter mad the mu-shu wraps and added a sweet plum sauce. The dish was was full bean sprouts and thinly sliced pork. I wasn't sure about the plum sauce since I had never had it before but that sauce totally made the wrap. My first couple bites I did not get any sauce but once I got the plum sauce the wrap went from okay to great. After the mu-shu pork the rest of food came all at one time and it was on like Donkey Kong. The whole family started digging in like ravenous zombies feasting on a fresh kill. The orange chicken had a crispy shell and was doused in this sweet orange sauce that was zesty. The mongolian beef was really good and loaded with green onions. The sauce perfectly coated the beef. The broccoli beef had huge pieces of broccoli and what I think was bamboo shoots. The broccoli was cooked to just the right texture. This is one of the only ways I will eat broccoli. I am not sure how else explain this other then pure awesome sauce.





  Yen Ching Restaurant was a hit with myself and the family. My daughter ate way more food then I thought she would. She ate at least two bowls of soup, almost all of her appetizers and she ate a little bit of everything else. She did great and tried everything. My son couldn't talk because his mouth was full of food the entire time. My wife and I agreed that Yen Ching Restaurant would definitely be a place that we would visit again and recommend to our family and friends. This family style meal would be great for just the wife and I on a night out or taking friends out for some great food.

Yen Ching on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My wife used to work down the street from Yen Ching (some 30 years ago) and I've been there dozens of times through the years. My father-in-law had his retirement luncheon there. I've always had a great meal, and the service is top notch. I haven't been there in a few years but thanks for the review--it's a nice reminder to go there soon.

PapaKaster said...

Thank you for the comment. I really enjoyed my meal there and the wait was excellent. I will be going back for sure.

jav-E said...

Thanks for that awesome review Nate Dogg..

Niyaz said...

Since we're sharing favorite Chinese places, here's mine: Ma's Islamic Chinese Restaurant in Fullerton (http://foodfrenzy.ocregister.com/2009/06/26/great-family-food-at-mas-islamic-chinese/8861/). That was my first experience with mu-shu and I liked it very much.

This meal looks good, and seemed to have a lot of food included. Did you think the food was worth the price tag though, both in flavor and portion wise?

PapaKaster said...

Niyaz - I walked out of there stuffed like a Thanksgiving turkey and had left overs for lunch the next day. The taste of all the food was really and I can not wait to go back. This is now one of my favorite sit down Chinese food places. As for the price, I did not mind the cost because the food was good and the service was good.