Saturday, June 25, 2011

Saturday Night Block Party at Concourse Bowling

3364 E. La Palma Ave.
Anaheim, CA 92806
714-666-2695

  This summer the Concourse Bowling, Bar and Grill will be hosting weekly food truck events from 5pm to 9pm. This week was the first week of events and the food truck will rotate so each week there should be different food trucks at the event. I have always wanted to check one of these events out so the family took the night to go check out this one.



  Everyone was able to pick what they wanted from a different truck. My daughter got a burger from The OC Food Truck, my wife and son got the Plain Jane crepe from Crepes Bonaparte which is an egg, ham, bacon and cheese crepe. I got the Singapore Sloppy Joe from  Chomp Chomp Nation truck and we got an order of Irish Fries and an order of chili cheese fries from The Spud Runner truck. Lastly we got a Big Banana Man crepe from Crepes Bonaparte for dessert. The entire meal ran me about $40.

  My daughter had her usual which is was a basic cheese burger. The cheese burger from the The OC Food Truck was an angus beef patty and covered in melted cheese. No complaints from her. My son and wife said the Plain Jane was good but the crepe was lacking flavor but they both said that overall the crepe was good.



  My Singapore Sloppy Joe from the Chomp Chomp Nation truck was delicious. The slow cooked beef was shredded and tender. They describe it as beef rendang in coconut milk, Thai chilis and pandan. It is served on a brioche bun and topped with tiger slaw. The meat had a bit  of a spice to it but the tiger slaw helped to mellow it out. The bun was soft and had a bit of sweetness to it. It was served with root chips which I had never had before and they were good too. The chips were crunchy and a bit salty. I wasn't sure if I was going to like this but after actually trying their version of a sloppy Joe I would definitely order it again.


  My wife saw Irish Fries on The Spud Runner truck menu and she had to get an order. While she ordered these I saw chili cheese and had to get me some too. The fries were cooked well but could have been a little more crisp. They were seasoned before being placed in a dish and covered in topping. The Irish Fries were covered in melted cheese, green onions, and crisp bacon. They were good but I wish they would have layered the toppings so the toppings were more evenly spread out. The chili cheese fries were also good but I think they could put more topping on these too. The chili  its self was really good and could probably stand on its own as a good meal. I just hate having fries that are plain and not covered in the topping like the fries on the top of the pile.


  Couldn't leave the event without getting something sweet. There was a cupcake truck there also but my funds were low and I thought a large crepe would be easier to share then a small cup cake. The crepe was basic but really good. The bananas were fresh and sweet and covered with caramel sauce. They folded up the crepe and covered it with more caramel sauce and a huge dollop fresh whipped  cream. This was a prefect finish to our family meal.


  I love the idea of what the  Concourse Bowling, Bar and Grill is doing here. With the huge explosion of food truck popularity this allows people to get a taste of what the hype is all about. For me I really enjoyed the variety of food that was available and I can't wait to see who shows up next week. There were a few other trucks at the event so it would have been easy to find something to eat no matter what food mood you are in. I will have to check another one of these events out and hopefully get a chance to try a few other food trucks I have heard about. I would recommend  you bring some folding chairs unless you do not mind sitting on the curb. Also most trucks did accept credit cards but I would still recommend bringing cash. Keep your eye on the events and maybe you will find a food truck at this event that you have always wanted to try.

No comments: