Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A grinder at Filippi's Pizza Grotto

27309 Jefferson Avenue #110
Temecula, CA 92590
951-699-8900

  A Sunday afternoon in Temecula is not often a place I find myself. However this did happen with good reason. Most importantly I was there to spend time with my best friend and fellow foodie. Secondly I was there to try a "killer sandwich" and get a guitar lesson. The sandwich was provided by Filippi's Pizza Grotto and it was our first stop. I was advised to order the super torpedo, which I did and we also split an order of cheese bread. With drinks the bill was about $25.

 I did not manage to get a picture of the cheese bread but that could have been a meal on its own. Thick slices of crusty sour dough, coated with garlic butter, then covered with freshly grated mozzarella cheese that was toasted until melted. The order of cheese bread  was served with a side of marinara sauce. The sauce was a perfect accompaniment to the cheese toast and a great way to start.

 The super torpedo arrived rather quickly and was slightly warmed through. The sandwich was loaded with fresh deli meats sliced thin but not shaved. The meats included salami, capicola, turkey and ham, just about everything you could want. The sandwich also has more of the fresh mozzarella but this time it was sliced. Then the sandwich was topped with sliced tomatoes, sliced onions and shredded lettuce. The bread was fresh with a crunchy crust and soft interior. Each bite of this sandwich was a mouthful of many flavor combinations. The fresh deli meats were covered  with large peppercorns along with crisp lettuce, sweet tomato and the bite of fresh onion. This was a good sandwich that would fill the tank of any person that walked in the door.



 Talk about stuffed, I walked out of Filippi's Pizza Grotto filled to the brim. I don't think I could have eaten another bite of food. In fact that sandwich kept me going for the rest of night which was filled with me trying to play guitar. If you are in the area then take the time to stop by Filippi's and grab a super torpedo. You will not be disappointed.
 
Filippi's Pizza Grotto on Urbanspoon

No comments: