Saturday, September 3, 2011

A Change of Pace

Graham Cracker Cake

  This week I am changing gears and showing you something I have made myself. Ever since I was little my mom has made this dessert she called graham cracker cake. It has always been one of my favorite things that my mom made and many years ago I started making it myself. The ingredient list is small and the prep time is short but the results are outstanding. This is great item to take to pot luck or family BBQ and it will be a hit.

  You will need to purchase one 3.4 oz package of instant vanilla pudding, one 8 oz  bowl of whipped topping, one box of graham crackers and two 21 oz once cans of cherry pie filling. You will also need a 13x9 baking dish to make the dessert in. I use the aluminum disposable one you can buy at the grocery store since they come with a lid and I do not have to worry about leaving my dish at a friends house.



  The first thing to do is make the instant pudding. I use the pie filling directions to get a little thicker pudding. After the pudding is mixed let it chill in the refrigerator for about five minutes. That will allow you to get the 13x9 baking dish ready. Simply take one package of graham crackers and lay them on the bottom of the dish, kind of like lasagna noddles. You can then get the pudding out of the fridge and mix in half of the container of whipped topping. Mix the pudding and whipped topping until the whipped topping is fully incorporated and mixture is smooth. Next, pour half of the pudding mixture on top of the first layer of graham crackers and even out the mixture to cover all the graham crackers. Next you use a second package of graham crackers to make another layer of graham crackers. Again think of it as making a lasagna. Then on top of that pour the other half of the pudding mixture and smooth it out across all the graham crackers. Finally open the two cans of cherry pie filling and evenly spoon them over the top. Last and most importantly let this sit over night ( or for at least 8 hours if making it in the morning for an evening desert ) in the fridge.


  After sitting over night the graham crackers will be soft and the dessert will be ready to serve. It will not stand-up like a cake or pie so it is easiest to spoon out of the baking dish. Every time I bring this dish to a friends house or to a family gathering it disappears quickly. When people try it for the first time they think it is a cheese cake type filling. I then share the ingredients with them and they are always surprised how simplistic the dish is yet how great it tastes. I know I am biased in saying this but this dessert is pure awesomeness!

No comments: