Monday, September 26, 2011

Route 66 Favorite Comes to Orange

Pancake House Restaurant
2848 N. Santiago Blvd.
Orange, CA 92867
714-283-2800

  If you know where the old Spires used to be off the 55 freeway then you know where Flappy Jack's is located. I have been looking forward to Flappy Jack's Pancake House to open ever since I saw the coming soon sign go up. This was the opening weekend for the restaurant and I expected it to be busy. When we got there we were told the wait would be about thirty minutes but we sat down in about fifteen. The drinks came quick and our order was taken as soon as we were ready. My daughter got the five silver dollar pancakes with eggs and bacon and sausage. My son got the American toast with eggs and sausage. My wife got the Texan skillet ( sans green peppers ) with toast and I got the Flappy's Favorite with two pancakes. With drinks for all the bill was about $52.

  My daughter said her eggs were good and the bacon was crunchy. She also said the pancakes were yummy with syrup. She ate most of breakfast but not from lack of trying. The portions at Flappy Jack's are large, even the kids meal portions are large. The American toast is cinnamon raisin swirl bread that is dipped in Flappy's egg batter and then covered in powered sugar, fresh blueberries and fresh strawberries. They also cover it in fresh made whipped cream. My son didn't even have to use syrup on the American toast because he said the fruit syrup from the fresh fruit was good enough. I had to have a bite for myself and damn was this good. The cinnamon came through right away and the bite finished with the egg custard taste, I agree with my son, no syrup needed and this may be my next dish at Flappy Jack's.






  The Texan skillet is loaded with steak, onions, bell peppers and mushrooms that is topped with two eggs any way you like them, and Monterey Jack cheese. All this is placed on top of a pile of hash browns. The steak is cooked to order and sliced thinly before being placed in the skillet. The combination of flavors in this skillet were great, it was like a complete steak and eggs meal all rolled into one dish. My wife really enjoyed the skillet and said it is something she would order again.


  I was torn between so many different things on Flappy Jack's menu but picked the Flappy's Favorite omelet. This is a four egg omelet that is chocked full of ham, bacon, sausage, onions and bell peppers then topped with Moterey Jack and cheddar cheese. I got mine minus the veggies. This omelet was huge, the eggs were fluffy and not one bite was without meat. The amount of meat in this omelet was surprising but very welcome. From first bite to last the omelet delivered meat, eggs and cheese. The hash browns were some of the best hash browns I have ever had. I really liked the way the potatoes were cut before they were cooked which left some crisp as well as some soft bits. I think the texture contrast is what made these hash browns. My only complaint would have been that my pancakes were a bit under cooked. The pancakes were light and airy but a little doughy because they needed a bit more time on the cook top.



  I now understand why a few different people have told me that Flappy Jack's Pancake House Restaurant was a must try breakfast spot. The quality of food was good and the portions were huge but the prices were reasonable. All three of these things make Flappy Jack's a place that I would definitely recommend to anyone and a restaurant  I will revisit. Make sure you go to Flappy Jack's with an empty stomach or room in your fridge for left overs.
 
Flappy Jack's on Urbanspoon

No comments: