Monday, October 31, 2011

A bit of Hawaii in Orange?

2094 N. Tustin Ave. Ste. A-2
Orange, CA 92865
714-685-6833

  I have been going to Waikiki Hawaiian Grill for years and only getting one thing, the Hawaiian fried rice. However last night the whole family went and we all ordered something different, well almost all of us. My daughter got the kids teriyaki chicken, my wife and son both got the Hawaiian BBQ grill combo, I got the Kalua Pork with side of Chicken Katsu and we also got an order of Hawaiian fried rice. With two drinks this whole meal was about $50.

  My daughter liked her teriyaki chicken but would not touch the cabbage under it. That did not surprise me I was just glad to see her all of her chicken. My son devoured his plate of meat and said that is was really good. I don't get much out of the kids when it comes to the taste of the food. My wife shared some of her Hawaiian BBQ plate with me. The spare ribs were sweet and savory at the same time, very tasty. The BBQ chicken had that freshly grilled taste and the same was true of the BBQ beef. It was a delicious plate of food.



  The Hawaiian fried rice was awesome as always. This fried rice is loaded with chicken, beef and three shrimp on top. It also comes with pineapple but since the wife is allergic we get it without. The fried rice comes with teriyaki sauce that must be used. The teriyaki sauce adds a nice sweetness to the rice that counters the saltiness of the fried rice it self. When I have gotten this dish for myself the pineapple adds a bit of sour that really sets the whole dish off nicely. This is a dish I would suggest you try at least once.


  The Kalua Pork itself was smokey and tender. The cabbage under the pork was steamed but still crisp. It helped to add a crunch to the pork that was needed. The macaroni salad served with the pork was creamy but not loaded with too much mayonnaise. I had to take the kids macaroni salad home because this is one of the few places that I really like macaroni salad. My only complaint is that it was a bit dry. The last time I had Kalua Pork it was moist and I was expecting that this time so it was a bit of a let down. The side of Chicken Katsu was crisp and moist. The dipping sauce had a tiny bit of spice to it which added that bit of heat in the back of your throat.



  Is Waikiki Hawaiian Grill a bit of Hawaii in Orange? Well I can't answer that question because I have never been to Hawaii but what I can tell you is that the food was good. Everything we had that night was cooked fresh to order. The sweet, salty, sometimes sour aspect of the food really plays with your taste buds and has you going back for more. If you need a quick fix for some Hawaiian BBQ then Waikiki can help your jones.
 
Waikiki Hawaiian Grill on Urbanspoon

No comments: