Monday, December 12, 2011

Foodie Fest at Taste of Sicily

Foodie Fest part deux
Taste of Sicily
665 N. Tustin St.
Orange, CA 92867
714-289-2838


  The second Foodie Fest that I attended was held at Taste of Sicily in Orange on Friday. There was a really nice turnout, I would guess about twelve people in all. In attendance was Claudia and Kathleen from Food Frenzy, Niyaz from Fat Dude on a Diet, Dan from Eat in OC, Mike from Eating my way through OC and readers from Food Frenzy, if I missed any other bloggers I am sorry. It was a great meet up of some of my favorite food blog authors.




  The evening started out with a small chat around the garlic knots that Taste of Sicily offers when you first sit down. I warned all new comers that these garlic knots are dangerously delicious and that if you don't pace your self you will fill up on them.


  After bit of chatter we all decided it was time to order. My wife got the pasta carbonara and I got the Italian sausage and cheese sandwich. I know Claudia got the green margarita pizza, Niyaz got the bake penne pasta with Italian sausage, there were a couple orders of lasagna, another pizza which I believe was called the house special and few orders of spaghetti. I didn't get pictures of all the food but I can tell it is an odd site when you have a group of people at a restaurant and then first thing that happens when the food arrives is everyone takes out a camera and starts shooting pictures. I am sure the other customers were wondering what the heck was going on in our little corner.

  
  As always Taste of Sicily delivered when it comes to taste and quality. The sandwich I had was over a foot long, the bread is made from the same dough they use for the pizzas, the sausage was plentiful and the cheese was melted, gooey goodness. The sausage at Taste of Sicily is not spicy yet still very flavorful. It has a bit of sweetness to it yet still holds up against the meat sauce used on the sandwich. The bread was crisp on the outside while being soft on the inside. The bread really does help to make this a sandwich I would easily recommend anyone should try. The pasta carbonara was rich, creamy and loaded with pancetta. The pasta was cooked al dente and the fresh basil really added a nice freshness the dish.



  I really wanted to take my fork to everyone's dish but I was able to restrain myself. I can tell you from talking with people that everyone was happy with their dinners. I also think I was able to make a few new fans of Taste of Sicily. The Foodie Fest was a great time as always. The night was about friends getting together, having a good dinner and just enjoying each others company. What more could one ask for?

No comments: