Monday, February 27, 2012

PKE goes to Triple D territory

Mama Cozza's
Italian Restaurant
2170 W. Ball Road
Anaheim, CA 92804
714-635-0065

  I've been watching Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives since near day one of the show. I can remember the episode when Guy was at Mama Cozza's and it has been in the back of my head to try ever since. With Taste of Sicily now being closed, I know it's sad day. I am now searching for an Italian restaurant that is local and just as good if not better. I was hoping Mama Cozza's would be that place but unfortunately it is not.

  My daughter got a peperoni pizza, my son got a meatball and cheese sandwich, my wife angel hair pasta with alfredo sauce and chicken and I got the combo plate. The combo plate came with pasta, lasagna and ravioli. With drinks this meal was about $70.

  My daughter loved her pizza and gobbled down three slices. I also had a slice and the pizza was good. The pizza had thin crust but not cracker thin. The sauce was lite while the cheese was thick and the pepperoni placed just right. The crust at the end of the pizza was lacking and left a baking soda kind of taste in my mouth. My son said the sandwich was okay. He did say the meatballs were large but that they were also kind of bland and dry.




  I really do hate saying bad things about local joints but one thing I said I would from the day I started PKE was to be honest about the food and experience. The bowl of pasta my wife had was beyond bland and just plain flavorless. The alfredo sauce had absolutely no flavor to it all and just tasted like thickened milk. The chicken helped to add some taste to the dish but overall it is was just a complete let down.


  My combo plate was okay but nothing special. The pasta was cooked just right, the ravioli was good but reminded me of something I could buy at the grocery story. The lasagna was the best thing on my plate and that was not all that great. The lasagna was loaded with ricotta cheese and had some ground meat sprinkled in with it. The entire plate of food was covered in what they call Mama sauce. The sauce again was good but nothing that screamed home made to me.


  I really did want to like Mama Cozza's Italian Restaurant. Having been on Triple D I was expecting more from Mama Cozza's and was ultimately disappointed. I am not here to bash Mama Cozza's because the food was awful it just was not anything to get excited about. Maybe I hit Mama Cozza's on a bad night but not sure I will give them a second try either.


Mama Cozza's on Urbanspoon

No comments: