Monday, March 26, 2012

Red Hots at Jerry's

Jerry's Wood Fired Dogs
2276 E. 17th Street
Santa Ana, CA 92705
714-245-0200

  Well, today it was just me an the kiddos for lunch and we ended up at joint I have been wanting to try for a long time now. Jerry's Wood Fired Dogs sits in a strip mall on the corner of 17th and Tustin in Santa Ana. I have not heard of this place before but it appears they have a couple different locations available. The menu is simplistic and easy, the choices are numerous and the prices are okay. Oh and they have large buckets of shelled peanuts for you crack open and munch on until your order is ready.


  My daughter is going to turn into a cheeseburger if she does not start eating something else. She did enjoy her burger and finished it quickly. I asked her if the cheeseburger was good, she mumbles yes and nodded her head while trying chew a bite. My son got Uncle Frank's Italian sausage and had them add ketchup, tomatoes, grilled onions and bacon bits. At Jerry's Wood Fired Dogs you can choose from over thirty different toppings. My son was trying to stuff his mouth with an entire mouthful each time he took a bite and actually managed to succeed. He said the sausage was good and the toppings were tasty. He did get the combo meal which included a drink and fries. The fries were a bit of a let down because they were not cooked crisp and kind of mushy.



  I stuffed myself with a pastrami dog that I had the spicy mustard taken off and yellow mustard added with a pickle spear. I also got the Southwestern Dog which was a bacon wrapped hot dog with chili, cheese, diced onions and crushed Fritos. Both of these dogs are all beef with a natural casing which makes each bite snap. The pastrami dog was good but I wish there was more pastrami included on the dog. It was very much like a pastrami sandwich with a hot dog in the middle. The Southwestern Dog was amazingly messy but extremely delicious, my only complaint was the bacon could have been cooked bit longer to make it more crispy. This was a classic Fritos pie plate on top of a hot dog. The chili was surprisingly good, not spicy just full of flavor. Because of the way these dogs are cooked there is also a hint of smokey flavor in the background which adds to the overall yum factor.



  I am always a bit iffy about restaurants that specialize in hot dogs because if they do, and the dog is  bad then they really suck. But Jerry's Wood Fired Dog was good, and the bill came out to be  about $32. Find a Jerry's near you and give them try. Even if you are Vegetarian you can find something to eat at Jerry's with the veggie dog they offer. Okay go now! I mean it! You won't be sorry and if you are then you picked the wrong toppings.


No comments: