Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Dinner and Ice Cream

Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour Restaurant
215 S. Brea Blvd.
Brea, CA 92821
714-990-4386

  It has been years since I was last at a Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour and the last time I was there the only thing I can remember eating was ice cream. When I was younger I didn't care about the food I just wanted the ice cream. Well my opinion has changed now that I have actually eaten dinner at Farrell's. The family was all there, my daughter ordered the kids cheeseburger (what a surprise there), my son order the gastro sandwich, my wife ordered the the chicken BLAT wrap and I got the grilled chicken sandwich. We all shared an Oreo sundae and with drinks this meal was about $62.

  My daughter finished her entire plate of food without any knowledge of us getting ice cream after dinner. Which was a good thing because she is going through another phase where she does not want to eat anything. My son ordered the Gastronomicaldelicatessenepicurean’s Delight which they simply call the gastro. This is a corned beef, bacon and roast turkey sandwich. By the name alone I thought this was going to be much larger. My son said the sandwich was good and that he really liked it a lot. He must have because he devoured the sandwich and the garlic fries without any hesitation. The garlic fries were a substitute for regular fries at an additional cost. Let me tell you those garlic fries were amazing, if you love garlic, because they were covered in freshly minced garlic and parsley. Wow were those fries strong!



  My wife's chicken BLAT wrap was loaded with sliced chicken, bacon, avocado, lettuce and tomatoes. She said her wrap was really good and flavorful. She said the chicken was cooked well and still moist. The bacon was crisp and the avocado was fresh. She did substituted waffles for regular fries at an additional cost. The waffles fries were crisp and tasty. I was offered a bite of the wrap but I did not accept because I wanted to be save room for ice cream after dinner. She also said that she was impressed with the quality of the dinner food at Farrell's.


  My sandwich was made up of a grilled chicken breast, smoked Gouda cheese, mixed greens and a pesto dressing all served on a parmesan toasted roll. I really enjoyed this sandwich. My chicken was grilled just right and still moist. The mixed greens add a light crisp to the sandwich, the smoked Gouda added a very nice smokey flavor almost like there was bacon. The kicker for me was the pesto dressing. This really added a freshness to the whole sandwich that came through in each bite. I got onion string as a substitute for french fries, at an additional cost. The onion strings were under salted and bit greasy so next time I think I will get garlic fries instead. Oh and the pickles were crisp with a nice sourness to them. I love a good pickle.


  I messed up and forgot to get a picture of the Oreo sundae. The sundae was three scoops of vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, Oreo cookie crumbles and fresh whipped cream. The family shared this sundae and getting a spoon in the dish was a task at times with four spoons all going at the same time. The ice cream was creamy, the hot fudge was rich and chocolatey and the Oreo cookie pieces were a nice crunch. A very good sundae and the perfect way to end this meal.

  When I thought of Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour I used to think of giant mounds of ice cream and nothing more. Now I think of the good food that they also serve up. Not only was the food good and of course the sundae but the service was super friendly and entertaining. There must have been at least three times that the staff was running around the restaurant with one of the ginormous thirty something scoop sundaes and at least six birthday songs. All in all it was a fun family dinner and definitely a place we will be back in the future. In fact I think my daughter all ready has plans to go there for her next birthday.


Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour Restaurant on Urbanspoon

No comments: