Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Earl of Sandwiches?

Earl of Sandwich
1565 S. Disneyland Drive
Anaheim, CA 92802
714-817-7476

  After months of waiting and hearing about Earl of Sandwich from other food bloggers I finally had my chance to try it out. This location is inside the Disney walk next to the movie theater. My wife and I ended up there on a Friday night right around dinner time so there was a long line but the line moved quickly. The Earl of Sandwich definitely planned ahead for these kind of lines because it was very smooth and despite the amount of people ordering, the food was ready quickly. My wife and I ordered a bowl of chicken noodle soup to share, my wife ordered The Full Montagu and I ordered the chicken chipotle sandwich. With one drink this meal was about $18.50 with a 10% discount for being Disneyland pass holders.

  The chicken soup was warm, full of thick noddles, pieces of chicken and pieces of carrots. The broth was full of chicken flavor and the chicken it self was tender. The veggies were sparse but I was okay with that because this was a good bowl of soup and on a cold night it really hit the spot. The broth was thick and not watery at all. I know the picture would make you think different about the veggies but that was about all the carrots there was in that bowl of soup. The bowl of soup was $2.99.

  
  The Full Montagu my wife ordered is freshly roasted beef, turkey, aged swiss and sharp cheddar, lettuce, tomatoes and the Earl's mustard sauce. Being allergic to mustard my wife order her sandwich sans the mustard sauce and added mayo in place. My wife and I ended up sharing sandwiches so we could each get a taste of something different. This sandwich did have all the above listed ingredients, the meat was sliced thinly, with a couple slices of tomatoes and a few leafs of lettuce. The cheese was melted and the bread was toasty. I couldn't really distinguish anything from anything. The flavors just all came together as one. The sandwich was a good version of meat and cheese sammy.

    
  The chicken chipotle sandwich had chuncks of chicken, bacon, avocado and chipotle sauce. The chicken chunks were large, the avocado was visible and the bacon was chopped. The sandwich it self was full of smokey chipotle flavor, the chicken was tender and still moist but kind of flavorless. The bacon added a saltiness to the sandwich without being overpowering. While the richness of the avocado helped to cut through some of the spice from the chipotle sauce. The bread on this sandwich was also toasted, as are all the sandwiches. The bread was lightly crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. A tasty sandwich that I enjoyed more then The Full Montagu.

  
  Here is my real issue with Earl of Sandwich, the prices. Each sandwich is $6.99 and about six inches long maybe a bit longer. The sandwiches were good, don't get me wrong but I can think of one local sandwich shop that I enjoy much more and the prices are better for the amount of food you get. I do think Earl of Sandwich will be just fine and continue to serve many customers. I would go back if I was in the area but this not a place I would go out of my way to try again simply based on the cost alone.


 
Earl of Sandwich on Urbanspoon

No comments: