Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Mother's Day with Mrs. Knott

Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant
8039 Beach Blvd.
Buena Park, CA 90620
714-220-5080

  The family decided to spend Mother's Day at Knott's Berry Farm. The lines in the park were not too bad and we ended up on every ride we wanted to ride. It was eventually time for dinner and being Mother's Day I asked my wife were she wanted to eat and she proclaimed "I want chicken!" So we walked to Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant. The wait was not too long for being Mother's Day about twenty minutes. We took a few minutes to look over the menu. Each adult dinner was $16.95 and the little one's meal was $8.95. Because we are season pass holders we got a discount so the total cost with drinks and a tip was about $70.

  My daughter got the kids fried chicken meal which included jello to start the meal. The main course was two fried chicken legs, mashed potatoes and gravy with a side of corn. The kids meal finished with a scoop of ice cream. All the adult meals start with a choice of cherry and rhubarb or chicken noodle soup, a salad, the main dish and choice of dessert. My son got the chicken pot pie, my wife got the fried chicken dinner and I got chicken and dumplings.

  My daughter was into this dinner, she gobbled down both chicken legs and most of the sides. When I asked her if she liked the chicken she nodded while continuing to eat. It was nice to see her eat her dinner and not have to constantly ask her to finish. Too bad I can't order from the kids menu because this plate of food would have been enough for me.


  My son methodically cut his chicken pot pie into pieces and finished just about all it. He said the pie was loaded with chicken and veggies. He said the crust was crisp and flaky. He also said the pie was very filling due to the thick sauce binding all ingredients. This pot pie was as large as small dish and covered in chicken gravy. My son told me that he did like the pot pie but next time he would probably order something different.


  My wife got her fried chicken and loved it. Typically we get this chicken to go and it is just not the same as eating in the restaurant. By the time the chicken gets home the steam has done its work to make the skin soft and soggy. Eating in the restaurant the skin is golden brown and delicious and stays crispy. The chicken it self is moist, tender and cooked perfectly. We had a happy MamaKaster on our hands! My wife's only complaints was that she did not like the gravy on the mashed potatoes, she thought it tasted too floury.


  I love the fried chicken at Mrs. Knott's but decided to try something different on this visit. The chicken and dumplings stood out to me and it is something I strive to find a good rendition of. The dish had two dumplings on each side and the middle was piled with chopped white meat chicken. The dumplings reminded of the biscuits they serve but with some seasonings in them. The dumplings were dense yet crumbly and easily cut with a fork. The chicken was moist and flavorful while the gravy really added a boost of chicken taste. Every fork full I moved was full of dumpling, chicken and gravy. This felt more like a plated meal then a soup or stew which was different then almost all other chicken and dumplings I have had in the past. I did enjoy my food but I think next time I will stick with the tried and true fried chicken dinner.

  
  All in all the family was happy with our meal at Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant. We all had full bellies and for a theme park dinner the price was fair. I am all for trying new things and sometimes trying new things leads to wonderful new discoveries. However in this case the discoveries were good just not mesmerizing. I am very glad I tried something new and can say the chicken and dumplings were good but next we eat here I will get the fried chicken and stick with what is some of the best fried chicken in SoCal.


Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner on Urbanspoon

No comments: