Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Dinner after the show

Felix Continental Cafe
36 Plaza Sq.
Orange, CA 92866
714-633-5842

  My wife and I were in Orange seeing The Maxies and after the show we were looking for a place to have dinner. While at The Maxies show a friend of mine had mentioned that they went to Felix Continental Cafe before the show and how good the food was there. This wasn't the first time I had been told about Felix so my wife and I decided it was time to try it out.

  The menu at Felix Continental Cafe was a bit overwhelming but not in a bad way, there was just so much on the menu that sounded really good. Felix has chicken dishes, beef dishes, pork dishes and seafood dishes. I personally was torn between the the ox tail, the Cuban sandwich or the roasted pork. I eventually decided on the roasted pork, my wife ended up picking the Arroz a la Cubana. With drinks this meal was about $32.

  The Arroz a la Cubana is casserole of saffron rice with chunks of pork, pieces of chicken and pieces of chorizo. My wife got the chorizo on the side because she thought the sausage would be spicy. I did try a little bit of each meat, the pork was tender but a tad bit on the dry side, the chicken was moist and shredded. While the texture of the chorizo kind of reminded me of wet jerky. The rice it self was cooked perfectly but still had some tooth to it. I said to my wife that the whole dish kind of reminded me of a Cuban fried rice. I really enjoyed each component of the dish separately and when mixed with the rice. A very tasty dish indeed.


  As for me the roasted pork was described as a Cuban holiday dish. Pork slowly roasted in its own drippings with bitter orange and seasonings. Served with rice, black beans and maduros. I love well made pork so I thought this would be a great dish and I was not wrong. The pork it self was tender and covered in the sauce which kept it extremely moist. The seasoning or sauce on the pork was so full of flavor and you did get a hint of the bitter orange. I enjoyed mixing the fluffy white rice with the pork and some of the raw white onion. I also thought the black beans were good, I am not a fan of black beans but these beans had a nice smokey flavor to them that I thought was nice. I tried the maduros which I believe was a deep fried plantain. It wasn't bad but not something I chose to eat simply because I wanted to finish the pork.


  I was very impressed with Felix Continental Cafe and will definitely be back. There are so many dishes on the menu that I want to try and I think the ox tail will be next. If you haven't been to Felix then I highly recommend you take a trip to this establishment as soon as you can. Oh on a side note the arroz con leche was creamy and the perfect end to this meal.


Felix Continental Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments: